Monday 11 December 2023

Albums Of The Year 2023.

At the end of 2005 I was working in an office and most people had finished for Xmas. I was pretty bored to be honest. So I decided to put together some kind of metacritic list of the albums of the year.

I chose five publications and/or websites that had listed 50 (or more) of their best albums of the year. Selecting the top 50 I awarded 50 points for 1st, 49 for 2nd, and so on down to 1 point for 50th. I then crunched the numbers and made a list of the top 30 scoring.

This silly piece of time wasting proved to be quite popular so I continued and have done every year since. I used to send the e-mails round to a few mates who had either expressed an interest or I'm trying to impress in some way. Since leaving my old job I've lost all the lists from 2005-2013. If anyone has them saved please get in touch.

Now I have a blog I'm gonna use this to disseminate the data. So, here we are, no photos, just a list of 2023's Top 30. Enjoy (or not)....

 

1.Lankum - False Lankum

2.PJ Harvey - I Inside The Old Year Dying

3.Yo La Tengo - This Stupid World

4.Lana Del Rey - Did You Know There's A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd

5.Julie Byrne - The Greater Wings

6.ANOHNI And The Johnsons - My Back Was A Bridge For You To Cross

7.Billy Woods/Kenny Segal - Maps

8.Jamie Branch - Fly Or Die Fly Or Die Fly Or Die ((World War))

9.boygenius - the record

10.Paul Simon - Seven Psalms

11.Khanate - To Be Cruel

12.Blur - The Ballad Of Darren

13.Wilco - Cousin

14.Mariam Rezaei - BOWN

15.Arooj Aftab/Vijay Iyer/Shahzad Ismaily - Love In Exile

16.Lisa O'Neill - All Of This Is Chance

17.Philip Jeck & Chris Watson - Oxmardyke

18.Robert Forster - The Candle And The Flame

19.The Necks - Travel

20.Shirley Collins - Archangel Hill

21.The Coral - Sea Of Mirrors

22.Noname - Sundial

23.John Cale - Mercy

24.The Clientele - I Am Not There Anymore

25.Wednesday - Rat Saw God

26.L'Rain - I Killed Your Dog

27.Fever Ray - Radical Romantics

28.Sufjan Stevens - Javelin

29.Lonnie Holley - Oh Me Oh My

30. Bill Orcutt - The Anxiety Of Symmetry

 

 

sources:-

Pitchfork

The Quietus

Uncut

Mojo

The Wire

 

 

previous winners  (click on to see full list):-

2022 Kendrick Lamar - Mr Morale And The Big Steppers

2021 The Weather Station - Ignorance

2020 Bob Dylan - Rough And Rowdy Ways

2019 Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains

2018 Low - Double Negative

2017 Richard Dawson - Peasant

2016 David Bowie - Blackstar

2015 Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness

2014 Swans - To Be Kind 

2013 My Bloody Valentine - mbv

2012 Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

2011 PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

2010 LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening 

2009 Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

2008 Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

2007 LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver

2006 Joanna Newsom - Ys

2005 Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

 


No comments:

Post a Comment