Tuesday 7 December 2021

Albums of the Year 2021

At the end of 2005 I was working in an office and most people had finished for Xmas. I was pretty bored to be honest. So I decided to put together some kind of metacritic list of the albums of the year.

I chose five publications and/or websites that had listed 50 (or more) of their best albums of the year. Selecting the top 50 I awarded 50 points for 1st, 49 for 2nd, and so on down to 1 point for 50th. I then crunched the numbers and made a list of the top 30 scoring.

This silly piece of time wasting proved to be quite popular so I continued and have done every year since. I used to send the e-mails round a few mates who've either expressed an interest or I'm trying to impress in some way. Since leaving my old job I've lost all the lists from 2005-2015. If anyone has them saved please get in touch.

Now I have a blog I'm gonna use this to disseminate the data. So, here we are, no photos, just a list of 2021's Top 30. Enjoy (or not)....

1.The Weather Station - Ignorance

2.Dry Cleaning - New Long Leg

3.Sleaford Mods - Spare Ribs

4.Little Simz - Sometimes I Might Be Introvert

5.Floating Points/Pharoah Sanders/The London Symphony Orchestra - Promises

6.Low - Hey What

7.Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - Carnage

8.Sons Of Kemet - Back To The Future

9.Mdou Moctar - Afrique Victim

10.Mogwai - As The Love Continues

11.St Vincent - Daddy's Home

12.Black Country, New Road - For The First Time

13.The War On Drugs - I Don't Live Here Anymore

14.Lana Del Rey - Chemtrails Over The Country Club

15.Black Midi - Cavalcade

16.L'Rain - Fatigue

17.Richard Dawson & Circle - Henki

18.Arooj Aftab - Vulture Prince

19.Arab Strap - As Days Get Dark

20.Dean Blunt - Black Metal 2

21.The Bug - Fire

22.Gazelle Twin & NYX - Deep England

23.Amyl & The Sniffers - Comfort Me

24.Cassandra Jenkins - An Overview On Phenomenal Nature

25.The Coral - Coral Island

26.SAULT - Nine

27.Tirzah - Colourgrade

28.John Grant - Boy From Michigan

29.Paul Weller - Fat Pop (Volume 1)

30. Idles - Crawler

 View the 2020 list here  

View the 2019 list here
View the 2018 list here.
View the 2017 list here.
View the 2016 list here.

sources:-

Pitchfork
the Quietus
Louder Than War
Uncut
Mojo 

No comments:

Post a Comment