Tuesday 12 December 2017

Albums of the Year 2017

At the end of 2005 I was working in an office and most people had finished for Xmas. I was pretty bored to be honest. So I decided to put together some kind of metacritic list of the albums of the year.

I chose five publications and/or websites that had listed 50 (or more) of their best albums of the year. Selecting the top 50 I awarded 50 points for 1st, 49 for 2nd, and so on down to 1 point for 50th. I then crunched the numbers and made a list of the top 30 scoring.

This silly piece of time wasting proved to be quite popular so I continued and have done every year since. I used to send the e-mails round a few mates who've either expressed an interest or I'm trying to impress in some way. Since leaving my old job I've lost all the lists from 2005-2015. If anyone has them saved please get in touch. You can see 2016's list here.

Now I have a blog (and I've left my job) I'm gonna use this to disseminate the data. So, here we are, no photos, just a list of 2017's Top 30. Enjoy (or not)....

1.Richard Dawson - Peasant
2.Kendrick Lamar - DAMN
3.LCD Soundsystem - American Dream
4.St.Vincent - Masseduction
5.Jane Weaver - Modern Kosmology
6.Jlin - Black Origami
7.Kelela - Take Me Apart
8.The War On Drugs - A Deeper Understanding
9.Fever Ray - Plunge
10.The Moonlandingz - Interplanetary Class Classics
11.Hurray For The Riff Raff - The Navigator
12.The National - Sleep Well Beast
13.Joshua Abrams & National Information Society - Simultonality
14.Lorde - Melodrama
15.Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile - Lotta Sea Lice
16.Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith - The Kid
17.Tyler, The Creator - Flower Boy
18.Julie Byrne - Not Even Happiness
19.Peter Perrett _ How The West Was Won
20.Thundercat - Drunk
21.Vince Staples - Big Fish Theory
22.Arca - Arca
23.Sleaford Mods - English Tapas
24.Slowdive - Slowdive
25.Juana Molina - Halo
26.Perfume Genuis - No Shape
27.Laura Marling - Semper Femina
28.Sampha - Process
29.Bjork - Utopia
30.Chino Amobi - Paradiso

sources:-

Pitchfork
the Quietus
The Wire
Uncut
Mojo

No comments:

Post a Comment