Wednesday 7 December 2022

Albums of the Year 2022.

At the end of 2005 I was working in an office and most people had finished for Xmas. I was pretty bored to be honest. So I decided to put together some kind of metacritic list of the albums of the year.

I chose five publications and/or websites that had listed 50 (or more) of their best albums of the year. Selecting the top 50 I awarded 50 points for 1st, 49 for 2nd, and so on down to 1 point for 50th. I then crunched the numbers and made a list of the top 30 scoring.

This silly piece of time wasting proved to be quite popular so I continued and have done every year since. I used to send the e-mails round a few mates who've either expressed an interest or I'm trying to impress in some way. Since leaving my old job I've lost all the lists from 2005-2015. If anyone has them saved please get in touch.

Now I have a blog I'm gonna use this to disseminate the data. So, here we are, no photos, just a list of 2022's Top 30. Enjoy (or not).... 

1.Kendrick Lamar - Mr.Morale And The Big Steppers

2.Wet Leg - Wet Leg

3.Cate Le Bon - Pompeii

4.The Smile - A Light For Attracting Attention

5.Suede - Autofiction

6.Jockstrap - I Love You Jennifer B

7.Fontaines D.C. - Skinty Fia

8.Michael Head And The Red Elastic Band - Dear Scott

9.Beth Orton - Weather Alive

10.Big Thief - Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe In You

11.Spiritualized - Everything Was Beautiful

12.Sea Power - Everything Was Forever

13.Richard Dawson - The Ruby Cord

14.Wilco - Cruel Country

15.Bjork - Fossara

16.Arctic Monkeys - The Car

17.Joan Shelley - The Spur

18.Beyonce - Renaissance

19.Special Interest - Endure

20.Makaya McCraven - In These Times

21.Dry Cleaning - Stumpwork

22.Jack White - Fear Of The Dawn

23.Sudan Archives - Natural Brown Prom Queen

24.Horace Andy - Midnight Rocker

25.The Comet Is Coming - Hyper-Dimensional Expansion Beam

26.Gwenno - Tresor

27.Bill Callahan - YTI⅃AƎЯ

28.Kevin Morby - This Is A Photograph

29.Elvis Costello And The Imposters - The Boy Named If

30.Weyes Blood - And In The Darkness, Hearts Aglow

 

sources:-

Pitchfork

Uncut

Mojo

Louder Than War

theQuietus

 

 

previous winners  (click on to see full list):-

2021 The Weather Station - Ignorance

2020 Bob Dylan - Rough And Rowdy Ways

2019 Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains

2018 Low - Double Negative

2017 Richard Dawson - Peasant

2016 David Bowie - Blackstar

2015 Julia Holter - Have You In My Wilderness

2014 Swans - To Be Kind 

2013 My Bloody Valentine - mbv

2012 Frank Ocean - Channel Orange

2011 PJ Harvey - Let England Shake

2010 LCD Soundsystem - This Is Happening 

2009 Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion

2008 Fleet Foxes - Fleet Foxes

2007 LCD Soundsystem - Sound Of Silver

2006 Joanna Newsom - Ys

2005 Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

No comments:

Post a Comment