Monday 16 December 2019

Albums of the Year 2019.

At the end of 2005 I was working in an office and most people had finished for Xmas. I was pretty bored to be honest. So I decided to put together some kind of metacritic list of the albums of the year.

I chose five publications and/or websites that had listed 50 (or more) of their best albums of the year. Selecting the top 50 I awarded 50 points for 1st, 49 for 2nd, and so on down to 1 point for 50th. I then crunched the numbers and made a list of the top 30 scoring.

This silly piece of time wasting proved to be quite popular so I continued and have done every year since. I used to send the e-mails round a few mates who've either expressed an interest or I'm trying to impress in some way. Since leaving my old job I've lost all the lists from 2005-2015. If anyone has them saved please get in touch.

Now I have a blog I'm gonna use this to disseminate the data. So, here we are, no photos, just a list of 2019's Top 30. Enjoy (or not)....

1 Purple Mountains - Purple Mountains
2 Bill Callahan - Shepherd In A Sheepskin Vest
3 Lana Del Rey - Norman Fucking Rockwell!
4 Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds - Ghosteen
5 Solange - When I Get Home
6 Weyes Blood - Titanic Rising
7 The Comet is Coming - Trust in the Lifeforce of Deep Mystery
9 Big Thief - U.F.O.F.
9 75 Dollar Bill - I Was Real
10 Kim Gordon - No Home Record
11 Brittany Howard - Jaime
12 Cate Le Bon - Reward
13 Bruce Springsteen - Western Stars
14 FKA twigs - MAGDALENE
15 Fat White Family - Serfs Up!
16 Black Midi - Schlagenheim
17 Aldous Harding - Designer
18 Richard Dawson - 2020
19 Moor Mother - Analog Fluids of Sonic Black Holes
20 Angel Olsen - All Mirrors
21 Sunn O))) - Life Metal
22 Sharon Van Etten - Remind Me Tomorrow
23 Bon Iver - i,i
24 Jenny Hval - The Practice of Love
25 Jenny Lewis - On The Line
26 Lorraine James - For You And I
27 Fontaines D.C. - Dogrel
28 Caterina Barbieri - Ecstatic Computation
29 Tylor, the Creator - IGOR
30 Lizzo - Coz I Love You

View the 2018 list here.
View the 2017 list here.
View the 2016 list here.

sources:-

Pitchfork
the Quietus
The Wire
Uncut
Mojo  

No comments:

Post a Comment